Monday, January 7, 2013

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)


"Moonrise Kingdom" has everything you've grown to expect from a Wes Anderson film -- young love, rebellion, whimsy, humor and heart.

The movie is about two young kids living on a small island who fall in love and plan to run away together. Both are outcasts from their peers and find hope and acceptance in each other.

Although it's a basic premise, the story is very engaging and heartfelt. Anderson is a truly unique storyteller, and I always enjoy watching his films because I feel like for those two hours, I'm seeing the world the way he does. It's a colorful, beautiful, funny, sad, and sometimes weird place.

I've also noticed that Anderson has a seemingly effortless way of creating cinematic depth and charm. Sometimes, his most powerful scenes are the ones with little to no dialogue.

I am also a fan of his casting. "Moonrise Kingdom" had some of his usual players, such as Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman, but it also brought on some talented new faces, such as the two leading kids, whom I had never seen on screen before. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the brilliant performances of Edward Norton and Bruce Willis. Such a dynamic cast in what came together to be a delightful story of first love.

Was it my favorite of Anderson's films? No. That title still belongs to "The Royal Tenenbaums." But it was still a Wes Anderson movie, which means it has to be wonderful.

-----------

PG-13, 1 hr. 34 min.
Comedy
Wes Anderson
Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola

Oct 16, 2012
$45.5M
Focus Features


No comments:

Post a Comment