Monday, January 7, 2013

Django Unchained (2012)

I saw "Django Unchained" over the Christmas break with my family. Although it's not what many would consider a holiday film, my family tends to be somewhat offbeat and we thoroughly enjoy Tarantino flicks.

Suffice it to say, we loved the movie! I'd say this is one of Tarantino's best movies, at least in recent memory.

First of all, it's got a solid cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz (my personal favorite in this film). And the storyline was so.... Tarantino. Meaning if you enjoy Tarantino movies, you won't be disappointed with this one. It's got all the classic elements -- violence, epic storyline, humor, more violence, good music, did I mention violence?

The story takes place in the South a couple of years before the Civil War. Christoph Waltz plays Dr. King Schultz, a bounty hunter who purchases the freedom of and partners up with former slave Django (Jamie Foxx) in order to find a particular pair of murderous brothers. Schultz agrees to help Django find his wife, whom he's been tragically separated from in the slave trade, once Django helps him find the band of brothers. DiCaprio plays Calvin Candie, a despicable and infamous plantation owner who enjoys buying strong male slaves for the sole purpose of having them fight to the death. As it turns out, Calvin Candie is also the current owner of Django's wife. As you can imagine, Django and Schultz have to go to some extreme measures in their attempt to rescue Django's wife.

Before seeing the movie, I heard people say this is Tarantino's most brutal and violent film. Maybe so, and I agree the faint of heart should not see this film. There was a great deal of violence, blood and disturbing content (which isn't hard to imagine when you combine Tarantino with a storyline set in the antebellum South, when slavery was commonplace). However, if you're used to his other films, I don't think this movie is going to bother you (I mean come on... remember Kill Bill? I think it's impossible to count the number of people who died in that film). It's what you should expect from a Tarantino depiction of pre-Civil War Mississippi, which is kind of awesome in its grittiness. I tend to really enjoy Tarantino's films that are set in certain horrible periods in history, such as Nazi Germany in "Inglorious Basterds." Those were horrific times, and he makes sure we remember that. And he has a brilliant way of making the viewer a nervous wreck one minute and then has them laughing in the next scene.

One of the things I really enjoyed about "Django Unchained" was the relationship with Schultz and Django. An unlikely duo, they were mesmerizing on screen and their interactions were often humorous. I've been a fan of Christoph Waltz since "Inglorious Basterds." Whereas he played a sinister and devious character in the latter, in "Django Unchained" he plays the good guy (and convincingly so). I initially feared he might end up typecasted as the bad guy, but I am pleased to say I was wrong. The guy's got range. I don't know what it is about him, but he's got great presence on screen. 

The movie is definitely a must-see for all you Tarantino buffs out there. As one myself, I was thoroughly entertained.

-----

R, 2 hr. 46 min.
Western, Drama
Quentin Tarantino
Quentin Tarantino

$106.4M
The Weinstein Co.


No comments:

Post a Comment